Jason Koivu's Reviews > The Secret Life of Bees

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

bookshelves: vagina-soliloquies

Read it. Enjoyed it. Any day now I expect to be entirely swallowed up by my own home-grown vagina.

If you've read The Help, you don't need to read this. One contemporary coming of age book about a white southern girl amongst black women discovering life in 1960s is plenty.

Sue Monk Kidd's explosively popular (I'm going to go out on a very sturdy limb and guess that this was an Oprah book) The Secret Life of Bees is a perfectly enjoyable read that any mother would love. Oh the imagery, the ambiance, the estrogen! Halfway through I wanted nothing more than to curl up in my cardy on the couch with a cuppa herbal something-or-other and sip the sweet nectar of these succulent words. They flowed like honey: sweet, warm, and slow…

Oh so slow at times. There are only two or three moments in the 300+ pages that woke me from the pleasant droning (get it? the bees?) that entrances, captivating the reader's mind and attention. The soft ideas about religion, love and the mother-daughter bond hum against your ears, the buzz of thought never going beyond a distant whirring zzzzzzzz.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Bees.

February 20, 2012 – Shelved
December 5, 2013 – Started Reading
December 11, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky I've never heard of a vagina eating its host before. OTHERS, yes... but, well, it seems like consuming you probably wouldn't be in its best interest... O_o

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent I saw the movie version in the theater on a date. I was the only male in the place and my stomach started audibly growling during a sad part near the end.

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Dan wrote: "I saw the movie version in the theater on a date. I was the only male in the place and my stomach started audibly growling during a sad part near the end."

Didn't have my glasses on and "on a date" read as "on a dare".

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent Jeff wrote: "Didn't have my glasses on and "on a date" read as "on a dare". "

Same thing.

message 5: by Lilo (new)

Lilo Love your review!

Jason Koivu Lilo wrote: "Love your review!

Won't read the book as I have already bought "The Help" a year ago, and it is not one of my priority TBRs."

Thanks, Lilo! Yeah, I'd recommend The Help over this one, if you were going to pick between the two.

message 7: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Dan wrote: "Jeff wrote: "Didn't have my glasses on and "on a date" read as "on a dare". "

Same thing."

Under these circumstances (duress?), I can see why.

Amanda Any day now I expect to be entirely swallowed up by my own home-grown vagina.

I keep trying to come up with a response to this. And I keep failing.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim Jason murmured:

Any day now I expect to be entirely swallowed up by my own home-grown vagina.

Amanda replied: I keep trying to come up with a response to this. And I keep failing.

Hey, sometimes guys yearn for the warmth, security, and comfort of a womb - the snark is just another way to maintain that stipp upper lip.

message 10: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Fall Jason did say he enjoyed the book, the review...I thought it was funny.

Jason Koivu Crystal wrote: "Jason did say he enjoyed the book, the review...I thought it was funny."

Glad you enjoyed it, Crystal.

Dennis Holland After reading the sample, I checked the book out at the library. Really enjoyed it.

Michelle I told my boyfriend I was reading this, but let him know he wouldn't like it. He asked why, so I read gin your review and we laughed. Thanks

Jason Koivu Valentina wrote: "I told my boyfriend I was reading this, but let him know he wouldn't like it. He asked why, so I read gin your review and we laughed. Thanks"

Glad to be of service!