Robert Owens's Reviews > I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead by Crystal Zevon

liked it
bookshelves: biography, nonfiction, music, drugs, hoopla, kindle

Was bopping around the Net looking at various things. Ended up reading an archived three on Reddit about the Grateful Dead. In the thread, someone mentioned this book. Decided to read it.

Knew little about Zevon prior to this. Spent a week in a Wiinebago circa '78/79 traveling to upstate New York. There were two 8-track tapes for that trip: Billy Joel's Piano Man and Warren's Excitable Boy. Knew both inside and out. Listened to Excitable Boy through college. Knew dead and Jerry covered Werewolves of London.

Book was troubling. Zevon was an asshole and a drunk. That was a good part of the book (his life). Even when he became sober, he was still an asshole.

But it was through that, that the reader came to know the man. That is the purpose of a biography after all.

By the end, one ends up caring for the main the main attraction. How can you not?

Zevon was literate. His lyrics were wry, savvy, and made one think. That alone endeared him to me. Had no idea of his relationship with Anita Gevinson. I listened to her on YSP for years. Apparently, this was the during the time she was snacking up with Warren.

Zevon was promiscuous. Just like a rock star.

Loved getting the day-to-day insights that humanized him. While a star, he lived a regular life like the rest of us struggling through life. Would have enjoyed more insight to the approach to his music and his audience. Came off that he just played live to pay bills, not to connect with his fans.

Book was told through interviews that were woven together. Interesting way.

The cast of characters in Zevon's life was a Who's Who. Jackson Brone, obviously, and all the other Southern California crowd, but Mitch Albom? Billy Bob Thornton? Springsteen? All made for an enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Sleep When I'm Dead.

May 1, 2019 – Started Reading