KHB's Reviews > Chasing Solace

Chasing Solace by Karl Drinkwater

M 50x66

Excellent sequel. I found this book was much more a horror and supernatural genre than the first book (Lost Solace). I'd already read the first book when it came out but decided to re-read it again before I started on Chasing Solace. There's a bit of a shift in genre with the second book.

I suppose I'm a glutton for punishment since I don't really enjoy horror and lean toward hard science fiction. It's just that Karl Drinkwater is such a master writer that I basically like everything he produces. His books, Cold Fusion 2000 and 2000 Tunes - loved them. Both are basically about love and growing up and have nothing to do with sci-fi. I wish he'd take on more projects like these.

As in the first book, Chasing Solace is a character driven story with a single protagonist and a couple Artificial Intelligent partners. Non stop action, but the interaction between the main character Opal and the A.I. is priceless and is the centerpiece of this book and also Lost Solace. It's so intimate and off-times funny. Most sci-fi books seem to have so many characters I loose track of who's who, but to pull off a story with a single character, and keep it so interesting throughout is a difficult task.

The ending supports another book in the series, but sums up nicely if this is the final chapter.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Solace.

Finished Reading