Petrik's Reviews > The Monster of Elendhaven

The Monster of Elendhaven by Jennifer Giesbrecht

it was ok
bookshelves: owned-physical-books

ARC provided by the publisher—Tor.com—in exchange for an honest review.

This starts out promising but overall it's really just not for me.

The Monster of Elendhaven by Jennifer Giesbrecht is a debut that I’ve heard great things about. It’s been advertised as a compelling dark fantasy about revenge, murder, and magician. For what its worth, it did started out that way; strongly atmospheric and dark. However, once the romance started, I found that the twisted relationship and unrealistic progression in their romance (though, maybe that's kinda the point of the relationship) that constantly hangs in a weird status throughout the book became more of the main focus than everything else.

Excluding the fact that romance in fantasy rarely works for me, this one in my opinion just didn’t make any sense. The character’s voices were difficult to differentiate and I also can’t bring myself to care about them at all. The writing felt jarring to read and I really feel like everything about this book just felt lacking in developments due to the low number of pages. Finishing the novella, I still have no clue why the two main characters were in love with each other, if you can call it that; they lacked clear and believable motivations—again, maybe the characters being insane and lacking in real motivation is the actual point of the novel.

Before this book, I’ve just read one of the greatest conclusions to a trilogy; a series that has LGBT romance and diverse relationship developments done spectacularly well. Because of that, there’s a chance that I subconsciously compared the greatness of what I previously finished to this one. Overall, The Monster of Elendhaven isn’t for me. Take this review with a grain of salt, there are still three months left until its release date and a lot of people have loved it so much. I think mine is, in fact, the third non-positive review that this book has received on Goodreads and if this book has your attention already, don't let my review steer you away from it because clearly, right now I'm definitely in the unpopular opinion side.

Official release date: September 24th, 2019

You can pre-order the book from: Book Depository (Free shipping)

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monster of Elendhaven.

May 7, 2019 – Shelved
June 10, 2019 – Started Reading
June 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Sharade (new) - added it

Sharade Lol your review made me want to read this book even more! Sometimes negative reviews work like that...:')

Petrik Sharade wrote: "Lol your review made me want to read this book even more! Sometimes negative reviews work like that...:')"

Haha thank you, Sara! I really think you'll love this one. Fingers-crossed it will be true! :D

Chelsea Humphrey I’m so sorry this one was a bust for you, Petrik! Here’s to your next read being a perfect fit!

message 4: by Sharade (new) - added it

Sharade Petrik wrote: "Sharade wrote: "Lol your review made me want to read this book even more! Sometimes negative reviews work like that...:')"

Haha thank you, Sara! I really think you'll love this one. Fingers-crosse..."

I think so too, I still haven't read a Tor.com Pub book I haven't loved!

Petrik Chelsea wrote: "I’m so sorry this one was a bust for you, Petrik! Here’s to your next read being a perfect fit!"

Thank you, Chelsea! I'm so bummed about this but oh well... it can't be helped! :/

Petrik Sharade wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Sharade wrote: "Lol your review made me want to read this book even more! Sometimes negative reviews work like that...:')"

Haha thank you, Sara! I really think you'll love this one...."

What an opposite of me........ (:

message 7: by Sharade (new) - added it

Sharade That's too bad!! It's my go-to publisher, even more than Orbit! We all have at least one :D

Petrik Sharade wrote: "That's too bad!! It's my go-to publisher, even more than Orbit! We all have at least one :D"

*gasp* how dare you!? Hahahaha nahh, I totally understand that and I agree! :D

message 9: by ijeoma Agbaje (new)

ijeoma Agbaje 😂😂😂😂 i just looked at the kindle price for this novella and whew!!!
description

Fab review as always, Petrik.

Petrik ijeoma Agbaje wrote: "😂😂😂😂 i just looked at the kindle price for this novella and whew!!!

Fab review as always, Petrik."

Thanks!! Hahaha, books published by tordotcom in general are always super expensive imo; they're super short read too :/

message 11: by ijeoma Agbaje (new)

ijeoma Agbaje Yeah I really just started paying attention to their book prices in particular.
They hurt my pocket 😫.

Petrik ijeoma Agbaje wrote: "Yeah I really just started paying attention to their book prices in particular.
They hurt my pocket 😫."

message 13: by ijeoma Agbaje (new)

ijeoma Agbaje Petrik wrote: "I don't think I've ever purchased any books published by them, sadly to say... It's all ARCs/review copies; I just can't bring myself to purchase an ebook that costs $10 and yet can be finished in an hour or two... :/ "

ahhh blessed ARC's. i'm so jelly!!!
Me neither though, i've never purchased their books at full price, usually just wait for sales.
One of the reasons i still haven't read the Murderbot series.

Nils | nilsreviewsit Was interested in this one... but you know me and romance in fantasy books don’t work out either, so thanks for the heads up!

Petrik Nils | nilsreviewsit wrote: "Was interested in this one... but you know me and romance in fantasy books don’t work out either, so thanks for the heads up!"

You're welcome! I highly doubt you're going to enjoy this one, Nils... :D