Fallon Willard's Reviews > BackGammon-Remix: Minekura Kazuya Art Book

BackGammon-Remix by Kazuya Minekura

2015644
Feb 20, 2012

bookshelves: art-books

I went to an anime convention (either Otakon or Ohayocon) a number of years back and hit the dealer's room like anyone else. After watching the Saiyuki anime and seeing the lovely artwork in the ending theme, in the back of my mind, I always thought it'd be great to find an artbook.

That day, I ran across this one and felt as though I had found heaven on earth.

It's a wonderful collection of Minekura Kazuya's art, both old and new, mostly concerning the Saiyuki characters. The pages are glossy and detailed, with a "centerfold" in the front. The images are beautifully rendered, displaying our attractive heroes in various poses that are reminiscent of photographs or pin-ups. The way lighting is shown in Minekura's works makes the characters seem to glow; as someone who dabbles in both digital and copic markers, I strive to someday reproduce such an effect in my own art. They almost seem real despite their anime style.

Very much recommended to fans of anime art books, or fans of the Saiyuki anime. Even recommended to those who appreciate the art style and wish to see a master's work!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read BackGammon-Remix.