Liz's Reviews > We Are All Good People Here

We Are All Good People Here by Susan Rebecca White

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley

I seem to be on a roll reading historical fiction, especially books about the 1960s. We Are All Good People Here, starts in the 1960s and moves forward, tracking two women that meet as college freshmen. Despite opposite backgrounds, they bond. So much of this brought memories flooding back to me. White totally captures the times - the racial inequities, the sexism, the politics. At first, I worried that this was going to be women’s lit, fluff and the characters would be caricatures. But White surprised me. There are some hard core scenes here, one of which caused me to lose all respect for Eve. A respect I never did retrieve, especially as she seems to move from just following one man or another. Flip side, I found Daniella to be totally relatable as she seeks to fight first the sexism and then, the racism of the day.

The story drags in the middle, as we veer from one generation to the next. To be honest, I never quite regained my interest in the book after we move into the third decade. It came across as just trying to tick off the hot issues - date rape, acceptance of gays, the rise of conservative religious beliefs.

I’m thinking this is a case of the author trying to do too much. I can’t help but wonder if I would have liked the book more if it had just stayed focused on Eve and Daniella and their earlier years.

My thanks to netgalley and Atria Books for an advance copy of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Are All Good People Here.

May 6, 2019 – Shelved
May 6, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 11, 2019 – Started Reading
July 11, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
July 13, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Excellent and honest review :-)

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Excellent and honest review :-)"

Thank you!

Elyse Walters Hi Liz. Thanks for your thoughts. 💕

Angela M Liz, although not perfect , I liked it a little more than you .

message 5: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Angela M wrote: "Liz, although not perfect, I liked it a little more than you ."

Angela, Glad you enjoyed it.

Brandice I just started this one and am enjoying it so far, though I’m early on in the story. Have seen a lot of mixed reviews for the book recently. I hope you love your next read, Liz! :)

message 7: by Liz (last edited Aug 20, 2019 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Brandice wrote: "I just started this one and am enjoying it so far, though I’m early on in the story. Have seen a lot of mixed reviews for the book recently. I hope you love your next read, Liz! :)"

Brandice, hope you like it all the way through. I enjoyed the first part. And yes, I just finished a good one (What Rose Forgot).