The Cozy Review's Reviews > Southern Sass and Killer Cravings

Author: Kate Young
Genre: Cozy Mystery/Culinary
Publisher: Kensington Books
Page Count: 368

A brand new cozy mystery series from Kate Young “Marygene Brown Mysteries” published by Kensington is a thought-provoking book with lots of pleasant characters and great potential. This book is well-written, with smooth transitions and plenty of plot twists. Readers will enjoy getting to know Marygene, and spending time with her and the other characters.

Marygene is a very amiable character with flaws and fears. She reminds us that we are all human and sometimes we hold ourselves responsible for things beyond our control. We try to governor everything and when we can’t we feel like a failure. Marygene is a character many of us can relate to and understand. Add just a touch of the paranormal into the mix in the form of a ghost, and you have the makings of a very absorbing mystery with a nice dash of humor. Other characters in Southern Sass & Killer Cravings are warm, caring and suffer from normal human frailties. They have insecurities, secrets, and burdens and this is what makes them interesting and likable.

The method of murder and the victim are fascinating. However, the method of the murder was a bit too obvious for seasoned readers. The victim was at first a very kindly person. Yet as the story unfolds, we learn that perhaps he wasn’t as nice or as good as initially thought. This makes for an absorbing turn and keeps the reader engaged.

For the first novel in a new cozy mystery series, Southern Sass & Killer Cravings is a pleasurable read, fast-paced with enough action to keep readers turning the page. However, I did take issue with a woman who has just gotten out of a physically abusive marriage associating with a man who has a violent temper. Most abuse victims, once out of an abusive relationship will not willingly have a friend who is physically violent with an explosive temper. This is simply not a judicious scenario.

Overall, this is a good book and what will be a good new cozy mystery series. It has great potential, notable characters and a ghost that I hope will continue to make an appearance. Ms. Young is a seasoned writer and knows how to tell a compelling story. The recipes in the back of the book are delicious!

Out May 28, 2019
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Southern Sass and Killer Cravings.

Started Reading