Marilyn's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

liked it

For me, this book was both intriguing and frustrating. It took me over two weeks to read because at times I really lost interest in it. It started out nicely, but by halfway, I was SO bored, and the flash forward-flash backward style was unnerving and at times difficult to make sense of or remember where in time the story was taking place. Several times I had to flip back to the chapter heading to be reminded of where we were.

The love story took way too long to develop, but once it did, I became more interested, but I think the author could have developed that relationship with the main characters much further rather than focusing on some of the other less interesting story lines (ie the Burgess sisters).

I enjoyed the characters, but the authors style of creating this extremely specific, visually stimulating setting was often too much for reading and found myself wishing I was watching the movie version (I really hope this becomes a movie) rather than trying to imagine each scene in my head.

Except for one major curse word in the beginning of the book, it was a very clean read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

February 20, 2012 – Shelved
March 1, 2012 – Started Reading
March 15, 2012 –
page 200
50.0% "This book started out somewhat promising, but I am having the hardest time wanting to continue with it. It's boring me right now."
March 19, 2012 – Finished Reading