Sarah Spelbring's Reviews > How to Make Money with Your Blog: The Ultimate Reference Guide for Building, Optimizing, and Monetizing Your Blog

How to Make Money with Your Blog by Duane Forrester

liked it

I have read blogging books before, but this was the first one I read in paperback, and so it was a little different, a little more in-depth, a little more like a reference guide as in the title. It's written by a blogger and a computer programmer, which I think made a good combination for making this kind of book. You have Duane who knows the front end (blogging) and Gavin who knows the back end (programming) so you get a lot of information.

They cover a lot of the similar elements as the other blog books I've read: affiliate marketing, Google Adsense, ad networks, and general getting started information. However, thanks to Gavin you get a lot of SEO coding, RSS coding, and some other things I'll have to reread to understand better.

They must have their blogging experience with Blogger as they use that as the basis for most of the book (with mentions to Wordpress and others). They also use their own blogs as points of reference, but it would have helped to see other blogs and how they worked. Also, as Gavin is a musician, there are many references to MySpace, which dates this book quite a bit. My MySpace knowledge is limited, but it's not a big social networking site anymore unless you are a musician(?).

This book also predates Facebook, so again a bit of common sense is needed but the general information presented is useful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Make Money with Your Blog.

May 4, 2019 – Started Reading