Karen Roma's Reviews > Alpha's Promise

Alpha's Promise by Rebecca Zanetti

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley, read-in-2019

There is no denying that Rebecca Zanetti is one of my favourite authors, and always provides vividly descriptive storylines, with strong Alpha males and sassy and determined females. Promise however, steps outside of the normal heroine persona. Her complex academic mind was highlighted, showing her inability to understand the rationale of emotional influences, and often depicting her as distant and aloof. But this didn’t deter me from liking her character, as I felt Ms Zanetti portrayed her perfectly considering her cold and dispassionate upbringing.

Ivar was everything we’ve come to expect from a Demon/Vampire warrior, and finally shows he is recovering from his heinous ordeal suffered in the hell worlds while trying to rescue Quade. So while their coupling was strange or unusual, I didn’t dislike Promise, but I would have liked to see her grow and evolve more emotionally.

For me, this story was lacking compared to others in the series. I felt I had to push through the constant scientific/mathematical jargon, while Promise tried to solve the problem of jumping through dimensions (but don’t use that terminology). I was also extremely disappointed that the issue of Quade has once again been left unresolved for the third book in a row, as it started in Vampire’s Faith, and for goodness sake, what is happening with Grace and Adare? Another storyline that has been dragging on for ages!

This was definitely not up to Ms Zanetti’s usual standard and it’s disappointing that she has fallen into the same habit of cliff-hangers and unresolved storylines that so many other authors find necessary today. Hopefully the next book will give readers some relief from this angst and we’ll get either an outcome for Grace and Adare or the tortured Quade.

I've never rated a Rebecca Zanetti book under 4 stars, but this one is barely 3 stars for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alpha's Promise.

Finished Reading