destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]'s Reviews > Junk Shop Blues

Junk Shop Blues by Cole McCade

S1E1: The Cardigans ★★★★★
S1E2: Junk Shop Blues ★★★★★

He felt like he was all sharp edges, and he’d forgotten how to blunt himself.

Unsurprisingly, Junk Shop Blues was another flawless read from Cole McCade. I think I could gush about his writing forever, and I probably will, so bear with me, friends.

Feral. If anything the old wolf was beyond feral right now, on edge, ragged, on the verge of going rabid.

I’ve so quickly grown hopelessly attached to Malcolm and Seong-Jae, and now I feel like I can’t get enough of their interactions, watching the two of them fight this ridiculous chemistry between them so hard when I think we all can see it’s futile, even at this point in the series. While the progression between them is slow going, it’s so rewarding to watch it all unfold.

Cold, closed off, downright menacing. And fussy as hell about his coffee.

Of course, it’s not just about the romance slowly coming into play; the murder mystery was just as intriguing in this episode as it was in the first. I guessed the murderer quite a bit earlier than the characters did, but it was in a good way, where it had me sitting there fussing out loud at my kindle, “No! The other one!” (The first time this happened was the moment I realized how well Cole’s executed his goal of playing these books out like a television show, because it reminded me so much of watching CSI as a kid.)

Malcolm, he thought, was a stone shore that waves slammed against again and again. He might seem endless and immovable, but time and time again each dash of waves against rock eroded more and more of him away.

The last thing I want to touch on before I wrap this review up (so I can finally pick up episode 3!) is how well the mental health rep in this was. There’s a lot of time given to Malcolm’s issues with therapy and with the trauma both he and Seong-Jae suffer from, and the ways they find to cope. While my hopeless romantic heart was a little peeved with Malcolm’s coping at times (if you’ve read it, you probably know what I mean!), I love how flawed and genuine these characters feel and how carefully the topic is handled. Another 5-star title from Cole McCade, and nobody is surprised, least of all me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Junk Shop Blues.

May 5, 2019 – Shelved