Rebecca's Reviews > A Scented Palace: The Secret History of Marie Antoinette's Perfumer

A Scented Palace by Elisabeth de Feydeau

Such an interesting book, especially the appendices at the back, listing Fargeon's own notes about different scent-giving ingredients and the methods of capturing their scents. I was slightly disappointed by the limited footnoting, which didn't give much information about the quotes that were footnoted! It also wasn't very clear where so much of the information about Fargeon's thoughts came from- they were written of as plain facts with no references. That he wrote letters to his brother was mentioned, but not once did the author say where she was finding her information... Even if it wasn't all footnoted, I would have expected just a sentence, somewhere, saying it's from his diary/letters/memoir/written in his own blood on the prison walls, but nothing, not even on the inside of the jacket cover! It made it difficult to know how much was fact and what she was imagining that he might have thought and felt. However, despite that slight moan it is a really interesting read - quick and very engaging!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Scented Palace.

February 20, 2012 – Shelved
February 27, 2012 – Finished Reading
March 23, 2012 – Shelved as: reviewed
June 12, 2012 – Shelved as: biography-memoir-or-diary
May 21, 2013 – Shelved as: wish-list

message 1: by Wealhtheow (new)

Wealhtheow That does sound interesting! It's too bad about the unclear attributions. It's such a common problem in histories, alas.

Rebecca I think the lack is because it's not meant to be a terribly academic book, but as I'm trying to use it for an essay it got rather frustrating- that was probably why I noticed it more than usual.