Elaine's Reviews > Crikey a Bodyguard

Crikey a Bodyguard by Kathryn  Freeman

32020643
This is romantic suspense with a huge dollop of humour whisked in to make a tasty treat, a great story that I thoroughly enjoyed reading.

Dr Kelly Bridge is a scientist who is working on developing a vaccine that would protect against a smallpox based terrorist attack. Her work is progressing well and should be completed soon but that makes her a target for those who wish to prevent her succeeding - or using her skills for their own nefarious purposes. That's why her parents have insisted she has a bodyguard. She doesn't believe there's any need, but to appease her parents and allay their fears, she agrees to let Ben Jacobs protect her.

Ben's ex-military, never actually completed his schooling and worries that anyone will think him as being unintelligent. I really appreciated how the author uses this as a way in which to explain the work that Kelly is doing in terms that are easy to understand! I also like how Kelly didn't equate academic prowess with intelligence or worth, recognising that different people have different abilities or talents and not all of these are academic but these alone don't define a person's innate value.

When the threatened danger becomes real, the two will have to work together to keep her safe but she's not used to following orders and is stubborn so this won't be easy for either of them! There are a mix of light-hearted, heartwarming and suspense filled moments throughout the story which has a roller coaster plot that keeps you wondering what will happen next - what will be round the next corner, bend or obstacle?

With an academically super smart heroine who sometimes lacks common sense in the face of danger and a strong, ex military hero who doesn't always recognise his own strengths, this is a fast paced, danger filled, thrilling story, a race against the terrorists and a need to identify the source of the peril so the romance can grow. I'll definitely be looking out for more by this author in future!

I requested and was gifted a copy of this book without obligation. I chose to read it and this is my honest review after doing so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crikey a Bodyguard.

April, 2019 – Started Reading