Carvanz's Reviews > Little Darlings

Little Darlings by Melanie Golding

20266662
Whoa! Talk about a creepy read! This book kept me on the edge the whole time with its dark undertones and uncertainty of what was going on and what was going to happen. I couldn’t put it down!

After having a difficult time giving birth to her twin sons, Lauren is left helpless and lost even as she lays in the hospital. When the unseen woman in the bed next to her sings to her own twins and the sounds of feeding change into something dark and disturbing, Lauren finally manages to check it out. What she stumbles across is the thing of nightmares and when her own babies are suddenly in danger Lauren’s protective instincts rise to hysterical proportions.

description

Harper is walking a fine edge as a detective in the local precinct. Nevertheless, she checks out the call from the previous night that was placed by a patient on the maternity ward. Her own past leads her further into an investigation that was marked off as a mental health issue. Neither woman knows that both of their lives will be irrevocably changed and that Lauren’s very state of mind will be called into question as the mystery deepens.

description

With fairytales and folklore as a backdrop, this story begins and ends with scary uncertainty and dark, unspoken mysteries. The author presents Lauren as a mother who initially doesn’t feel anything for her newborn babies and how, or if, those instinctive reactions will ever arise. Despite her initial need to protect her children, the questions remain throughout the story and my mind ran in circles as to what was really happening.

I’m not sure if I’ve ever read anything that left me feeling so totally creeped out. I love when a book can affect me in such a way. I’ve read Stephen King novels that didn’t leave me feeling the way certain parts of this story did.

description

For a debut novel, this is so very well written and moved with an incredible speed that kept me engaged throughout its entirety. Although it ends with a finality, it’s not wrapped up neat and tidy. Life is uncertain and there were a few characters that I wanted to have a black and white ending and that wasn’t the case…which was actually perfect for this story.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book provided by NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Dual POV
Safe (view spoiler)
Triggers (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Darlings.

May 4, 2019 – Started Reading
May 5, 2019 – Shelved
May 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Mindy Lou's Book Review Hmm...I think I’m intrigued

Carvanz Mindy Lou's Book Review wrote: "Hmm...I think I’m intrigued"

Yeah, I kinda like something different every now and then and this one caught my eye on NG. For a debut it's pretty unforgettable. I was actually dreaming about the set up that takes place in this story. Freaky, creepy good. Kinda psychological, thriller, suspense.

message 3: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review Carvanz!💋💖

Carvanz Kat wrote: "Excellent review Carvanz!💋💖"

Thank you Kat! You're always so sweet.