Dindy's Reviews > If She Wakes

If She Wakes by Michael Koryta

did not like it
bookshelves: mystery, vine

This book contains all the elements that should make me love it: strong female characters, evil villains, suspenseful plot, but I just am not able to get into the book. It is not making it past my 100-page rule, which states that if I am not engrossed in a book by Page 100, I stop reading it. In this case I barely made it past 50 pages before deciding that I was wasting my time.

For one thing, there have been several excellent books published in the past couple of years with characters with locked in syndrome-- a condition whereby the person is apparently in a coma but can hear and see what is happening. The person cannot move, speak or interact with anybody so medical staff and family think the person is brain dead.

Most notably, Marcia Muller has written a great locked in syndrome book, but there have been several others, so this is not a particularly novel condition right now. It comes across more as the disease du jour. Koryta doesn't do anything that makes his book stands out, so it gives me a rather ho-hum attitude toward the book.

I might try it again in a couple of years as I often find that sometimes if I go back and try again on books I previously gave up on, I end up really liking them. It probably will depend on how many books in the next few years center around locked in syndrome as a gimmick.

Note: I would like to thank Little, Brown & Company for providing me with an advanced review copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If She Wakes.

Started Reading