Liviu's Reviews > Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright by Justine Saracen

bookshelves: 2012_release_read, read_2012, mainstream

just finished Tyger, Tyger and it was surprisingly good - I had some expectations as I requested it after all, but since it was marked as LGBT fiction, I expected something more same-sex romantic with historical fiction on the side and actually the book is the other way around, historical fiction with the LGBT stuff important but integrated very well.

I will have a full rv soon but one more point I want to add is that the author recreated very well the times and the book's quite matter of fact tone for most part - there are a few horrific scenes in the concentration camps and on the Russian front that are rendered very well too and add quite a lot to the power of the novel - works very well and makes a good counterpoint to the more usual (at least in my experience) "dramatic' tone encountered in novels about the 3rd Reich; after all people lived, loved and for most part rationalized away what happened or hated it but felt unable to do anything about or of course embraced it at least to some extent and for some time...

The author shows all the above and the novel works extremely well, while the last maybe 2/3 that covers the war years is also quite a page turner
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright.

February 20, 2012 – Started Reading