Robin Hobb's Reviews > A Little Hatred

A Little Hatred by Joe Abercrombie

bookshelves: solid-fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read May 4, 2019.

First, the usual caveats. I received an advance copy of this book, free, from the publishers. And I consider Joe Abercrombie a friend. I do not think that affects my review of this book.

Joe Abercrombie continues to do what he does best. He sets up a very large chess board, with multiple pieces. Often several pieces are in motion at the same time, and as always, the pieces are all the same color. It is truly up to the reader to decide which faction they will cheer for, as the characters continue to defy the 'good' or 'bad' labels. This is a tale of brute force and subtle magic set in a world on the cusp of an industrial revolution.

Buckle your seat belts for this one.

A few things I will tell you up front. If you've never read any of Abercrombie's books, you can still jump right into his world with this one. There is just enough back story for each setting to make it real; never a mind-numbing re-chewing of events from a previous book. There are numerous characters. Some get a chance to reveal their point of view. Others keep their thoughts to themselves and let us judge for ourselves what they are pondering. Now, if you have read Joe's other books set in this world, you are in for a richer experience as familiar names, rivalries, hatreds and alliances are renewed, evolve and dissolve in this volume.

The characters are memorable. Even with a large cast, I never had to fumble back to recall who was who, and what was going on.

A Little Hatred is not a gentle book. Characters are shown at their best and their worst, and the full spectrum of what some are capable of can be appalling. This is a vivid and jolting tale. The fantasy elements of the book are subtle, the magic scarce and yet utterly essential to the plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Little Hatred.

Finished Reading
Started Reading
May 4, 2019 – Shelved
May 4, 2019 – Shelved as: solid-fantasy
May 4, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by David (new) - added it

David Can't wait to read it!

message 2: by Xanxa (new) - added it

Xanxa Me too! As soon as I saw the words "dan Glokta", it went on my to-read list. I love his books and the fact that another of my favourites, Robin Hobb, has reviewed it only makes it more of a must-read.

message 3: by Owen (new) - added it

Owen So....damn...excited.

message 4: by Matt Schott (new) - added it

Matt Schott Thank you for the helpful review

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Wow. I decided to check on the progress of this new series. It has a cover, page count and review from a fellow fantasy author, I mean friend.
So ready for this, well probably should read Liveship Traders, The Fool trilogy and those others heh heh heh

message 6: by Kamal (new) - added it

Kamal Syed I'm always excited for new books by Joe Abercrombie. A review by Robin Hobb (another of my favourites) is surprising, but welcome. I've read everything so far by both of you.

message 7: by Dana (new) - added it

Dana Thanks Robin. Amazing to see an incredible writer reviewing the work of another incredible writer.
What a world we live in. I mean, it doesn't have dragons, but it's still pretty neat.
And when I say thanks, I also mean thanks for Fitz, the Fool and Nighteyes. Mwah!

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Wright I have never been as excited for anything in my life. Not a movie, album or holiday. And I'm pretty sure this will still be true when I'm married with children

message 9: by Joe (new) - added it

Joe As if I wasn't anticipating this book enough!

message 10: by Harris (new)

Harris Poutakidis Very excited for this book!!

message 11: by Melusi (new) - added it

Melusi Sibanda By the dead, September is too far!