Dorie - Cats&Books :)'s Reviews > The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson

bookshelves: 2019-netgalley-challenge, historical-fiction, literature

This was an incredibly original story with a main character that I had so many feelings for! I love when a book makes me go to the internet and research, "blue people" and "book women", I had no idea that there was ever a project such as this. These women really had to love books to hand deliver them to people in the high hills of Kentucky.

My only problem with it was that it was very slowly paced. However when I thought further about it, perhaps it was written that way because that's how Cussy Mary Carter's life was. There was lots of hard work, little food, horrible living conditions and yet "Bluet" continued to love books. She was incredibly creative in making scrapbooks for her "clients" so that there would be more reading material for them. She added anything she could to her stash of books including any magazines, recipes from local people, pamphlets on infant care and treatment, etc.

This is a heartbreaker of a novel but one that should not be missed. I highly recommend it.

I received an ARC of this novel from the publisher through Edelweiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek.

May 4, 2019 – Shelved
May 4, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 18, 2019 – Started Reading
May 18, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-netgalley-challenge
May 18, 2019 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
May 18, 2019 – Shelved as: literature
May 19, 2019 –
May 22, 2019 –
85.0% "slow going but well written and interesting"
May 24, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

Betty read this excellent historical book. It is the first I heard about the blue people. Here on the west coast all I heard about Franklin D. Roosevelt was work on our forest and the dislike of the farmers for his agriculture programs.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Betty wrote: "read this excellent historical book. It is the first I heard about the blue people. Here on the west coast all I heard about Franklin D. Roosevelt was work on our forest and the dislike of the farm..."

That's why I love historical fiction, I almost always learn something new :)

Anna Great review, I'm reading this now and loving it!

Bianca Fab review. I've got this,I'm hoping to read it soonish.

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Sounds great! Terrific review Dorie!!

Karen Great review Dorie! I loved this book!

Angela M Terrific review, Dorie. I loved this book.

Tucker Wonderful review Dorie! I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Anna wrote: "Great review, I'm reading this now and loving it!"

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Bianca wrote: "Fab review. I've got this,I'm hoping to read it soonish."

I hope you enjoy it Bianca :)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Angela M wrote: "Terrific review, Dorie. I loved this book."

thanks Angela, I read your review and know that you loved it, it's very special :)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Tucker wrote: "Wonderful review Dorie! I'm really looking forward to reading it."

thanks Tucker :)

message 13: by Kathi (new)

Kathi Defranc Great review!

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Kathi wrote: "Great review!"

thanks Kathi :)

Norma * Traveling Sister Great review, Dorie!

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review, Dorie!"

thanks so much Norma :)

Donna Davis Great review, Dorie. "Heartbreaker" is the perfect word for this one.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Donna wrote: "Great review, Dorie. "Heartbreaker" is the perfect word for this one."

message 19: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Excellent review Dorie! This sounds like a great read!

message 20: by sue (new) - added it

sue Terrific review Dorie

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Nicola wrote: "Excellent review Dorie! This sounds like a great read!"

thanks Nicola, it is very unique and eye opening :)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) sue wrote: "Terrific review Dorie"

message 23: by JanB (new)

JanB I've had to send this back to the library twice unread...too many books. Its such an inspiring story I hope to get to it one day when I am in the mood for a slower paced read. Thanks for a great review!

message 24: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Walters Thanks - sounds good. 💕

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) JanB wrote: "I've had to send this back to the library twice unread...too many books. Its such an inspiring story I hope to get to it one day when I am in the mood for a slower paced read. Thanks for a great re..."

thanks Jan,. it's definitely a slower read. I enjoyed reading it along with another, completely different type of book, otherwise I may have given up on it and it's so worth the read :)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Elyse wrote: "Thanks - sounds good. 💕"

It's very good but very slow paced :)

Libby I enjoyed learning about the pack horse librarians and the 'blue' people, too, Dorie. Great review!

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Libby wrote: "I enjoyed learning about the pack horse librarians and the 'blue' people, too, Dorie. Great review!"

thank you Libby, the more I still think about these characters :)

Marilyn Fantastic review,Dorie! Sounds like one I would enjoy reading. Thanks.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Marilyn wrote: "Fantastic review,Dorie! Sounds like one I would enjoy reading. Thanks."

Thanks Marilyn, I hope you give it a try :)