NYRicanHSMAMA's Reviews > His Rebellious Lass

His Rebellious Lass by Callie Hutton

it was ok

Thank you to Net Galley for providing this book to me in exchange for an honest review.

This book is about a woman named Lady Bridget who becomes the Ward of Lord Campbell at the time of her father’s death. She has no intention to marry in order to inherit her fortune, and Cam has no intention of keeping her as his ward longer than necessary to secure her a husband.

I didn’t enjoy this book. I found Bridget to be foolish, and stubborn. I think the author was trying to portray a strong-willed Scottish feminist yet she came off as bratty, foolish, spiteful and just unlikeable. Cam initially came off as a jerk that saw women as property. I did start to like Cam as the book went on, because he seemed to genuinely be a nice guy but not enough to recommend this book.

I wish the story had more background. I felt like Cam was basically ambushed by her initially before he even realized that he had a ward. And I feel as though an educated Lady of the ton wouldn’t automatically be so abrasive upon a first meeting.

I did like the idea of a women's home for battered women and enlisting the help of her guardian, but even so, she had this dream but didn’t seem to have thought it through.

The characters seemed to have good chemistry as ward/guardian and budding friendship but as a romantic relationship it fell kind of flat to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Rebellious Lass.

May 4, 2019 – Started Reading