Samantha's Reviews > The Salt Roads

The Salt Roads by Nalo Hopkinson

liked it

I loved each of the characters in this book. They were so real to me, and their pain was both specific to each of them and universal. Mer, Jeanne Duval, and Thais each came across so distinctly in voice and world view; each was beautifully drawn. Of the three, I enjoyed Mer the most. Jeanne's story seemed to sort of stymie for a while, and I didn't connect with Thais as much. I enjoyed the moment when I realized that each of them connected to some real history, and that made me want to learn more about those characters and time periods.

I also was very interested by the mythology, Lasirén or Ezili, the African goddess of water and love who "rode" with each character, but unlike many goddesses I've read about didn't seem to quite understand how it all worked, and was on her own voyage of growth and understanding. Having had all my schooling in the United States, I'm not as well informed about African mythologies as I am about Greek and Nordic ones, so it felt fresh and new to me as a result.

I didn't love how these two things blended in the narrative. As consciousness was jerked out of one character and we moved into another's story, I too felt jerked out of the story. My experience as a reader matched that of the frustrated narrating goddess, being pulled one way when I wanted to go another. It all came together in the end, but it was rough getting there.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Salt Roads.

May 4, 2019 – Started Reading