Clark's Reviews > The Fortress of Solitude

M 50x66
Jul 07, 2007

did not like it
bookshelves: abandoned

What a shit storm. This is one of the more plodding books I have engaged in my time as a reader. It ranks up there with one of the only other books I have abandoned, Updike's Rabbit, Run. Updike and Lethem also hold the distinction of being some of the worst writers of prose I have encountered. My god, I hate the way they write.

Not recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fortress of Solitude.

04/26/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Drew (new)

Drew Nope.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Really?

I mean, I didn't like Rabbit, Run, either, but I read it when I was too young to understand existential despair (as opposed to now). And I liked the beginning of Fortress of Solitude, but he lost me with all the sex-for-drugs (although maybe, like Updike, I will be able to appreciate this later in my life). And the description of Boerum Hill is so good. Have you read Motherless Brooklyn?

Clark Anna wrote: "Really?

If anything, I was going through extreme existential despair at the time that I read Rabbit, Run and I still couldn't get through it. I'm with you on the beginning of Fortress of Solitude, but it I felt like I became less and less interested as time went on to the point that it became a chore to read. That said, there was never a point where I really enjoyed the nuts and bolts of his writing, only the premise.

I thought Motherless Brooklyn was a lot better, but it still kind of grated on my nerves. It seemed like it was conceived a little better.

Amyss shitstorm, I like that. If you see my review I grasped desperately at an all inclusive word because I was FUCKED if I would be dragged into that book again to explain why, just exactly why it was so so bad.

message 5: by Jens (new)