Jeanette's Reviews > Chiefs

Chiefs by Stuart Woods

liked it

Hmmmm! This to me was comparable to reading three different books. The first Police Chief's I would have given a 4 star for sure if it was the whole onus. The Second Chief's I would barely give a 3 star, maybe 2.5 stars. And the last Chief, an even 3 stars.

Just not my style of intrusion to some of the most off putting details of the characters' lives. And also just all around mean, for the most part. There were few characters that I could connect to embedding beyond the first part of the book.

This is the only Stuart Woods book that I have ever finished. And I read here that it is different and earlier than his myriad others. If this is milder, than I know why he's not for me and hasn't been.

Gritty to an extent, yes! But more mean, unkind and just plain nasty reveals predominate in most of this. Without redeeming qualities or depth of core beyond the Chief of the first part.

Barely a 3 star read, IMHO. Seriously, I don't feel there was a window to the depth of cultural context of Delano, Georgia either- from this policing angle portrayed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chiefs.

May 4, 2019 – Shelved
May 4, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 20, 2019 – Started Reading
May 20, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 20, 2019 –
15.0% "From another era, and can you tell. For one thing it's chronological and utterly not "woke". Precise individuals in community with a failed cotton farmer becoming the new Police. Everyone knows everyone and I am loving the entire so far. Completely refreshing compared to the last 10 fiction reads I've attempted. Because the slugs aren't celebrated? Decency is status quo. That's why."
May 26, 2019 – Finished Reading