Amanda Marie ❤'s Alpha Reads's Reviews > Slaughter

Slaughter by Shantel Tessier

Excellent, but darker than dark

Ok, let's start with a disclaimer here: this book, while great, is darker than dark. Trigger warning- physical abuse, slavery, non-consensual bondage/sadism, and non-consent (nothing "dubious" about it).
Now that we have that out of the way, on to the review.
This was my first read by this author, and while it was exceptionally dark I did think it was a great read. I couldn't believe what Avery was putting Presleigh through. I couldn't believe the horror of what their fathers did/do. This poor girl- if it weren't for bad luck she'd have no luck at all.
It takes a while for the story to reveal what happened between Avery and Presleigh 11 years ago- both what they each believed to have happened as well as what DID happen. Once that is revealed things start to make more sense. Still, we are getting surprises and twists through the entire book, even into the epilogue. Which I loved. There are still some unanswered questions, and some unfinished business, but I'm hoping that gets resolved with the spinoff book (evidently expected some time in 2019 per Goodreads).
I will be reading more from this author, but I might need a light palate cleanser book between her stories. This was heavy. Excellent, but sweet jesus it was dark.
Recommended (as long as you are on board with darker reads)!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slaughter.

May 4, 2019 – Started Reading