Zoe Peszek's Reviews > Kiki's Delivery Service

Kiki's Delivery Service by Eiko Kadono

bookshelves: international-literature, picture-book

I am so glad I was able to find this book! My city's public library did not have it, but they were able to get it for me from another library in the area. I have actually seen the movie adaptation of this book. I did not realize that I had until after I read it. I thought the story sounded familiar, so I researched it. I enjoyed reading the book much more than the movie. There is more detail in the book, and I like being able to imagine it more in my head than see it on the screen.

This is a fun, entertaining, and magical story for children to read. Kiki's special flying ability makes this so whimsical and exciting. Deeper than the surface, though, there are messages about motivation and perseverance. I found it to be inspiring. Kiki experiences many ups and downs as she is trying to deliver the bread. At times, it seems like it will be impossible for her to make the deliveries. It was suspenseful! The deeper meaning, though, is that it shows the reader that they can do what ever they want, despite the challenges that come their way. That is a positive message to present to children, especially as they are figuring out their interests and what they want to do in life.

I would recommend this book for both children and adults to read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiki's Delivery Service.

Finished Reading
May 3, 2019 – Shelved as: international-literature
May 3, 2019 – Shelved
June 22, 2019 – Shelved as: picture-book

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny G This sounds like a great book to read. You have this listed as international lit, I was curious where the author is from, or if the setting is in a different country? I teach 1st graders and they need a little motivation (especially at the end of the year), do you think primary students would enjoy this book?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Zoe, this title sounds very familiar to me too. I am so glad you enjoyed it! My seventh graders DEFINITELY need motivation and perseverance. Do you think the book would be too juvenile to do as a read aloud in middle school? Did you find it was a story where you need to rely on both the illustrations and the text together to interpret the meaning? Thank you!
Jessica

message 3: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe Peszek Jenny wrote: "This sounds like a great book to read. You have this listed as international lit, I was curious where the author is from, or if the setting is in a different country? I teach 1st graders and they n..."
Hi Jenny,
The author, Eiko Kadono, is from Japan. She uses her childhood experiences growing up in Japan to influence her characters and the scenes in this book. I think this would be an appropriate level for first graders and very entertaining for them to read!

message 4: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe Peszek Jessica wrote: "Zoe, this title sounds very familiar to me too. I am so glad you enjoyed it! My seventh graders DEFINITELY need motivation and perseverance. Do you think the book would be too juvenile to do as a r..."
Hi Jessica,
I do think that book is a little juvenile for middle schoolers.

Yes, the illustrations definitely helped interpret the meaning. The illustrations showed what was happening in the story to enhance my imagination and processing the meaning.