Heidi Champa's Reviews > Lost in the '90s

Lost in the '90s by Frank Anthony Polito

Feb 20, 2012

Read in March, 2012

Ah, the 90’s. When Jennifer Aniston was Rachel on ‘Friends’, flannel was a fashion statement and the only Kardashian we had to keep up with was OJ Simpson’s lawyer. It is also the setting for a fabulous new book by Frank Anthony Polito, (author of Band Fags and Drama Queers) called Lost in the 90’s.

Kurt Peregrine finds out his ex-girlfriend is pregnant with his child at the 90’s themed school dance where his band is supposed to play. After a mishap during their performance, Kurt winds up back where it all began for him, literally. 1994. Smack dab in the middle of his parent’s heyday in high school and in the middle of the tenuous beginnings of their relationship. Kurt learns more than he ever wanted to know about his family history and finds himself deeply involved in the courtship of Michelle Darling and Dave Peregrine or as he knows them, Mom and Dad.

Using three narrators and three unique voices, Lost in the 90’s takes us through not only the fabulous era that brought the world Beverly Hills, 90210 and Nirvana, but also through the formation of a family. Polito uses a liberal smattering of 90’s references but also manages to make the story feel universal and modern. It is smart, tender and laugh-out-loud funny (or LOL in today’s parlance).

I highly recommend Lost in the 90’s, not just for people like me, who graduated high school in 1994, but for anyone looking for a lovely, well-written and fun book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost in the '90s.