Daniel Solera's Reviews > The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Feb 20, 2012

bookshelves: fiction

It had been years since I had read this fantasy classic. My father-in-law decided he, his brothers and some of his friends were going to read it and work out at the same time ("to avoid looking like hobbits). With the movie coming out later this year, albeit just the first half, it sounded like a fun idea.

Though this books is one of the cornerstones of high fantasy, I found myself comparing it to the last fantasy novels I read: the first four books in George R. R. Martin's series, A Song of Ice and Fire. I had forgotten how remarkably simple and almost childlike Tolkien's narrative voice could be. Large swaths of action are neatly condensed into a few sentences, perilous predicaments are mended in a few quick flicks of the wrist and months pass in mere sentences. It makes for a very quick and fun read, though it certainly focuses more on its characters' epic quest than on the players themselves.

But despite that, Bilbo Baggins' tale of adventure is extremely fun. From the gathering of dwarves to the showdown at the Lonely Mountain, there is no shortage of action as the novel never slows down. A lot happens in its 300 pages and it can feel rushed at times, but that shouldn't stop you if, for some strange reason, you haven't read this yet. It has made me want to re-read the Lord of the Rings, but there are plenty of other books in my queue before that can happen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.