Sarah's Reviews > Christy

Christy by Catherine Marshall

bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read 2 times. Last read February 20, 2012 to March 15, 2012.

Warning: I do not recommend this book for anyone under the age of 15 due to some of the subject matter.

Recommend for: Young adults, Homeschoolers, Those looking for faith building and faith challenging fiction.

There are very few books that are life changing. For me, this is one of the few.

When I first read Catherine Marshall’s Christy, I was fifteen, the youngest age my mom would let us read it at. I was captured at once by the plight of the mountain people, and cheered as Christy worked so hard to make their life better. The last third of the book though forced me to ask myself the question: “What do I believe?”

This book caused me to figure out what I believed about my faith apart from parents, pastors, or anyone else. It also made me face the fact that outside my nice home bubble, there was a hurting world. I couldn’t live in the bubble forever; it was only there to prepare me to reach out.

What I liked:
I liked the fact that this book got me thinking. Without being preaching, just through the story, I learned so much. Christy and I had so much in common, except for the fact my parents are doing a better job to prepare me for the outside world.

This book is based on real people and real events and you can feel that. The cast of characters are colorful and deep. There are no flat characters in this book. All of them have depth and feel so real.

What I didn’t like:
Some of the things that were hard were also what made the book so powerful. Probably the hardest part of the book was Miss Alice’s story. A man she trusted took advantage of her and she had a child out of wedlock. She tells the story of what happened to Christy in enough detail to make most of my readers squirm. This is why I think anyone under the age of fifteen shouldbe cautious about reading this book. If you wish to avoid the story (which is a pivotal part of the book), or if parents would like to preview it, it is chapter 33 in the book.

I highly recommend Christy to anyone who is looking for a faith building fiction story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christy.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Catherine Marshall
“I still don't understand anything- exept that somehow I know that You are love. And that in my heart has been so great a love for Christy as I did not know could exist on this earth. You, God, must be responsible. You must have put it there. So what do I do with it now? ”
Catherine Marshall, Christy

Catherine Marshall
“When you heart is ablaze with the love of God, when you love other people - especially the ripsnorting sinners - so much that you dare to tell them about Jesus with no apologies, then never fear, there will be results.”
Catherine Marshall, Christy

February 20, 2012 – Started Reading
February 20, 2012 – Shelved
March 15, 2012 – Finished Reading
July 18, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-reads
May 4, 2018 – Started Reading (Audiobook Edition)
May 4, 2018 – Shelved (Audiobook Edition)
May 4, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-reads (Audiobook Edition)
May 4, 2018 – Shelved as: classics-with-ke... (Audiobook Edition)
May 14, 2018 – Finished Reading (Audiobook Edition)
September 4, 2018 – Shelved as: very-mild-romance (Audiobook Edition)
September 4, 2018 – Shelved as: best-of-the-best (Audiobook Edition)

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy I wish I had seen this review before I recommended it to my 14-year old! I read this so many years ago I had forgotten this part. Thank you for posting this.