Amanda Marie ❤'s Alpha Reads's Reviews > Born to be Broken

Born to be Broken by Addison Cain

Detailed story and characters

Another winner! This is the second book in this series, my second-ever Omegaverse read, and my second book from this author. As with the first I am a little distracted by the language that I'm not used to, but that's to be expected since I've never read this kind of book before. I generally stick to dark romance/romantic suspense, and avoid paranormal (among others). This series kept popping up on recommended lists so I decided to give it a try.
I really liked this book. There is a considerable amount of detail both in the world as well as the characters. I also really love that the relationship between the two main characters is not insta-love, and Claire doesn't just roll over with stars in her eyes the minute Shepherd tell her to do so. She fights. She refuses. She is defiant. She does what she can (uses whatever she can) in pursuit of what she believes to be right. She couldn't complete a task on her own, so she did what she needed to do to get the help she needed rather than throwing her hands up at the hopelessness of it all.
I am also enjoying Shepherd's struggle. It seems like he wants Claire to develop feelings for him. To care for him. To see him as her mate as opposed to her kidnapper/tormentor/attacker/captor. Unfortunately he has never had to build a relationship before, nor has he ever even seen it done. He has seen only twisted "relationships" based on abuse, bartering, power... but not love or affection. And Claire, having never had a relationship herself, and with her mother having passed away when Claire was so young, has never had nor seen a relationship develop, either. So it's the blind leading the blind over here. She wants him to do something he doesn't know how to do (woo her), and he wants her to do something she's been repelled by, and fought against, her entire life (accept her Omega status and submit to that life).
It is interesting to watch it unfold. When Shepherd does something nice is it out of affection? A desire to appease Claire? Or does he perhaps have more self-serving motivations?
I also love the side characters. Well, except Svana. That's not to say she isn't an excellent character from a technical standpoint- she is. I HATE her. And that is a mark of a "good" character.

Warning: there is OW drama and activity in this series.

Find me at:
Facebook: https://fb.me/amandamariereads
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/amanda_mari...
Blog: http://amandamariereads.blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to be Broken.

May 3, 2019 – Shelved