Kristen Burns's Reviews > Dark Child of Forever

Dark Child of Forever by S.K. Ryder

bookshelves: read-2019-books, fantasy, paranormal-urban-fantasy, vampires, borrowed-amazon, reviewed

4 Stars

Review:
It had been a while since I had found a good new-to-me vampire series, so I'm glad I gave this one a chance! This was a great final book that continued the threads of the others and wrapped everything up really well.

What I Disliked:

- I was frustrated that a romantic relationship between Cassidy, Dominic, and Jackson was teased at again. And, also again, it would've made so much sense in the story. *SPOILER* (view spoiler) *END SPOILER* Normally I would try not to complain just because something didn't happen how I wanted it to, but it was teased so much that I feel like it's fair for me to be disappointed.

What I Liked:

- I once again liked this version of vampires and the whole concept of *SPOILER* (view spoiler) *END SPOILER*

- I loved how affectionate and emotional Dominic was. He felt things very strongly and deeply, and there was nothing that meant more to him than trust and intimacy (and not just in a romantic way). It was such a strong part of Dominic's character that it made him unique. He also made a great leader and wore his power well. He was compassionate, but he knew when to be threatening (we are talking about vampires, after all) and even when to be ruthless. But he was also charming and kind with those who accepted him. Basically what I'm saying is, I thought he was kind of cliche at first, but I ended up being won over by this tortured vampire hero.

- I liked the relationships among the characters that continually evolved throughout the series, including an enemies-to-friends relationship.

- I realized at some point that I enjoyed all three POVs pretty equally, which doesn't usually happen in books.

- The story was good. I was fully hooked at this point and enjoyed the whole book. I also liked that it steered away from the romance aspect since Dominic and Cassidy were firmly a couple at the start of this one. And I appreciated that the book ended in a way that was happy but balanced with a bit of realistic bittersweetness.

Overall, despite a couple issues with the previous books, I ended up really enjoying this series! It brought some uniqueness to the vampire portrayal, the stories and writing were good, the emotion was well-written, and I came to really like all three main characters by the end.

Recommended For:
Fans of Books 1 and 2 in S.K. Ryder's Dark Destinies series. Anyone who likes vampires with a bit of uniqueness, romance, enemies-to-friends, and tortured heroes who just want to be loved.

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Child of Forever.

May 3, 2019 – Started Reading