Milja's Reviews > Demian. Die Geschichte von Emil Sinclairs Jugend

Demian. Die Geschichte von Emil Sinclairs Jugend by Hermann Hesse

Feb 20, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, posessions
Read in January, 2005

I will make this very simple - this is the book that completely changed my view on life and how i perceive things around me. It is strong, hypnotic, with a very, veeeery strong philosophy behind it.

However, even before reading you reviews i've noticed a pattern and made certain conclusions;) and the winners are:
- people who are LOVE Siddartha most probably dislike Demian or are indifferent to it
- people who haven't heard of Abraxas before or about the cult of Cainites probably won't understand the philosophy behind the book to its core, therefore won't be as intrigued by it

ofc i'm not saying anything of this in a judgmental way, far from it! it just really proved to be the pattern:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demian. Die Geschichte von Emil Sinclairs Jugend.

Quotes Milja Liked

Hermann Hesse
“I am fond of music I think because it is so amoral. Everything else is moral and I am after something that isn't. I have always found moralizing intolerable.”

Hermann Hesse
“The bird fights its way out of the egg. The egg is the world. Who would be born must first destroy a world. The bird flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas.”

Hermann Hesse
“Our god's name is Abraxas and he is God and Satan and he contains both the luminous and the dark world.”