Asha Seth's Reviews > All the Lives We Never Lived

All the Lives We Never Lived by Anuradha Roy

bookshelves: 2019, indian-lit, historical

I am battling between a 4 and a 5.
Overwhelming characters, rich poetic prose, and an engaging storyline make for a heartwarming reading experience.
Abundantly melancholic to a point where it gets under your skin and weighs down your heart. But that's all right, for some books crave to be heard. No, not heard, but felt. And this is one of those books. You'll love every bit of it and hate yourself for loving it for you feel so torn and heartbroken for Gay (Gayatri). And then there is Myshin's encompassing quest to unearth his mother's one impulsive act that shredded his life.
Myshkin Rozario has nothing but missed, craved, loved, then loathed, his mother, since he was nine, since she left home. But only after what seems like a hundred years of misery, does he start to understand why his mother did what she did that tore apart his family, blighted his childhood, and left a lifelong scar upon his conscience.
Please allow me to wallow. Proper review to follow!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Lives We Never Lived.

May 3, 2019 – Shelved
May 3, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 5, 2019 – Started Reading
May 7, 2019 –
page 55
17.19% "Why I love books with good writing:
An excerpt:
“He was something that had washed up after a long journey. Driftwood. A shipwreck. A message in a bottle that I could not decipher.”"
May 8, 2019 –
page 101
31.56% " That tore at my heart.

“One day I would see my mother on that train: at that moment, it felt like a certainty. I would come every day at this time, now that I knew when the passenger train went that way, and eventually it would have to happen, she would be in one of the windows.”"
May 10, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019