Versha's Reviews > Persuasion

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Feb 20, 2012

bookshelves: most-favorites, own-it, read-in-2015, for-book-club
Read in November, 2015 — I own a copy

It's very hard to write a review on your favourite novel because you are so much in love with that book that nothing seems wrong, to me this is one such book. Meaning - this review is all about praises for Persuasion.

I have no idea why I had given this book a four star rating earlier, which was actually a terrible mistake on my part and now has been rectified on second reading . May be this time I could understand the situation, the characters the whole plot even more clearly than earlier which made me swoon over this book even more.

Anne was young when she fell in love with Frederick. At that age one cannot be sure of ones true feeling as to, is it a mere infatuation? or something serious? Anne’s this confusion was influenced by her friend Lady Russell who ridiculed her decision of engaging herself with a man who was nothing compared to Anne and persuaded her to break the engagement. But little did Anne knew she would meet Frederick (now Captain Wentworth) again after so many years, to know she still has the same feeling towards him as she had 8 years ago. Is the love between these two protagonist mutual or just one sided is the biggest question for the readers. Even after knowing the ending, at times there were some sort of awkwardness, nervousness which questioned me while reading whether they are going end up together or not. Well, that says how beautifully the characters and the situations are weaved by Austen.

I loved Anne’s character. To the whole world she seemed weak, influential, feeble, at one point of time she was. But, not anymore and she keeps this transformation in her character as a secret from the whole world. She lets everyone think she is still the same Anne. She never blames anyone for what happened in the past neither Lady Russell nor herself because she knew as a girl she wasn’t matured enough to take decisions or to understand what was right for her and what was’ nt. Finally its Captain Frederick Wentworth who discovers the real Anne and breaks his silence..

“I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you.”
...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuasion.

Quotes Versha Liked

Jane Austen
“I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in F. W.

I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look, will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never.”
Jane Austen, Persuasion

Jane Austen
“Time will explain.”
Jane Austen, Persuasion
tags: time

11/06/2015 marked as: currently-reading
11/14/2015 marked as: read

message 1: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Wonderful review, Versha! I love that quote you included.

Versha Thank you Candi. And that is one of my favorite quote from the book.