Debi Lantzer's Reviews > Not My Daughter

Not My Daughter by Kate Hewitt

bookshelves: bookouture, netgalley

I loved the synopsis of this book, so when I saw it available on NetGalley and couldn't wait to ask Bookouture if I could read and review it and was pleased when I was approved.

The story behind Not My Daughter by Kate Hewitt is this:  Milly and Matthew are bummed when they discover they are having fertility problems. Because Milly was adopted, she has always dreamed of having a child of her own. As Milly is talking with her best friend, Anna about the news, without being asked at all, Anna offers to donate her eggs for IVF so that Milly can have the child of her dreams. Afterwards, Milly talks with Matt about it and then Matt goes to his brother, Jack and asks him to donate his sperm.  Everyone around becomes super excited and committed to helping Milly and Matthew with their dream of having a child.

The embryo is implanted into Milly, and Baby Alice is born prematurely. Milly has issues developing maternal instincts toward the infant. She leaves the baby with Anna and Matt and goes off to find rest, meditation and help so that she can be the mother that baby Alice needs and deserves.  When Milly feels well enough to return home, she realizes there's a lot more to deal with than she thought.

I loved the alternative points of view in the chapters -- it was really nice to get insight into both Anna and Milly's perspectives of the situation. I also loved how the complexities of the situation weren't glossed over or left vague as they can be sometimes. Not My Daughter is a heart breaking emotional story of love, hope, friendship, lies and despair, but most of all, I loved the ending.

I was provided with a complimentary electronic advanced reader copy of this book from Boukouture through NetGalley in exchange for my post.  I was not required to post a positive review, but have chosen to do so because it was such a great book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not My Daughter.

Started Reading