Samantha's Reviews > The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick

The Lady from the Black Lagoon by Mallory O'Meara

it was ok

This is an odd sort of book.

It's part biography of an interesting creative, Milicent Patrick (the reason I picked it up). She really was interesting! Wish I could have known her!

It's part memoir of a young filmmaker and her research journey, Mallory O'Meara (probably mostly this). Maybe it's the middle aged curmudgeon in me, but I have trouble crediting a memoir from someone who hasn't completed three decades of life yet.

It's part feminist rant (a rather simplistic one, unfortunately, that is reminds me of every under-read, knee-jerk underclassman shallow over-reaction I've ever encountered--cringey).

It's part fan girl squee (that part was kind of fun).

I wanted to like it, but in the end, I have to rate it lowly because it's trying to be too many things at one time and doesn't do any of them justice as a result.

I found the narrative voice at times engaging and at times off-putting, but it was my own interest in Milicent Patrick and The Gill-man kept me going through to the end. I wish more of the book had been about its ostensible subject.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady from the Black Lagoon.

May 2, 2019 – Started Reading