P.'s Reviews > The Bridges Of Madison County

The Bridges Of Madison County by Robert James Waller

it was ok
bookshelves: romance

After glancing at a few reviews by other fellow Goodreads readers I think it's pretty clear that this is a book you are either going to love, or hate. Andf I confess, I'm in the club that doesn't really believe that this book is as special as people make it out to be.

The plot is based around a chance encounter between Robert Kincaid, a freelance photographer who Waller tries to sell as a cross between a magus and 'the last cowboy' standing and Francesca Johnson, a bored out-of-her-wits housewife in Iowa.

Kincaid's reason for being in Madison County in the first place is because of his National Geographic assignment to write an article about the Counties famous 'covered' bridges, which in all honesty was the only interesting part in the novel. This spontaneous meeting and the subsequent short-lived affair that blossoms after is the turning point of the novel. Waller uses Johnson as a character to probe into the moral rights and wrongs of extra-marital affairs, and chooses to walk the moral ground of having her decline Kincaid's subsequent offer of running away with him.

Essentially Waller's message is 'do not leave your family under any circumstances', yet as we find out Francesca suffers immensely after her decision and never truly forgets her lover. The story is supposed to be about two people who are 'soulmates' and about finding the one you love only to lose them again.

To be fair, I didn't really care much for the characters, because I felt there was something missing abotu the way Waller wrote about them. As personalities they were not fully formed somehow. All I can say about the book is that it's a nice 'easy' read for when you just want a comfort book. It certainly served that purpose! On another note, I remember briefly watching the movie version with Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep and can say it is an honest representation of what goes on in the book. I advise you watch the movie version. It's much better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bridges Of Madison County.

February 20, 2012 – Started Reading
February 20, 2012 – Shelved
February 20, 2012 – Shelved as: romance
page 81
page 97
page 142
February 22, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

switterbug (Betsey) This is one case where the movie is clearly much better than the book!