Amanda's Reviews > Piper Robbin and the American Oz Maker

Piper Robbin and the American Oz Maker by Warwick Gleeson

liked it
bookshelves: for-review-2019

You had me at homicidal aliens... Okay, not really. Usually that is a phrase where I would be lost, actually. Then I spotted Oz in the title and couldn't resist. Note: I craft my overall impression and subsequent review very much around my first impression with the title, cover image, and summary of a novel and how that either differs wildly or is right in sync with my experience reading the book and feelings afterward regarding the story/book. There are things along the way that can alter that impression, like egregious editing errors, moronic characters and/or a plot that goes nowhere or way off the grid of even fictionalized reality.

Beyond nefarious aliens, sorcerers and witches abound - as would be expected from an Oz based narrative - and Piper is hardly a Dorothy, in my opinion. What I mean by that is, I found Dorothy to be weak and annoying in The Wizard of Oz and in Piper Robbin and the American Oz Maker, Piper is anything but weak. I mean, Dorothy defeated the witch by accidentally spilling water on her. That's not the heroine of a story for me. Piper is, simply put, a badass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Piper Robbin and the American Oz Maker.

May 2, 2019 – Started Reading
May 2, 2019 – Shelved
May 2, 2019 – Shelved as: for-review-2019
May 2, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Warwick (new)

Warwick Gleeson Thank you. I hope you enjoyed the counterpoint of Romanova also.