Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > Matilda

Matilda by Roald Dahl

bookshelves: mg-children-picture-books

Reading this book was a pleasure I must repeat some other time in the future. I love Roald Dahl, and this book is TOTALLY amazing in the quirkiest most magical way.

Matilda Wormwood is a little girl with a family that doesn't deserve her. Her father is a shonky car salesman and her mother is a self-involved fool. Her brother is pretty much invisible. None of them have time for the tiny girl and treat her so badly she prefers to spend time alone.

Did I mention that she's a genius? Yep. She teaches herself how to read by going to the library, and even learns maths on her own. So, by the time she starts school, she's already ahead of the other kids. And that's when Miss Honey takes notice of her brilliance.

But Headmistress Trunchbull won't hear of it. She's a tough meanie who hates kids and constantly insults and abuses them. Everyone is scared of the beast of a woman.

She didn't count on Matilda, though...

Like I said above, this book is something special. Not only is it funny and an interesting story I was totally into, but I adored Matilda. She's so cute and in spite of her terrible parents, she's smart and kind and thoughtful. A wonderful character to read about.

And she loves reading!

I seriously LOVED every minute of this book.

Of course I knew I would, Roald Dahl was an amazing storyteller who could spin excellent stories featuring some truly vile characters, but always balanced them out with terrific ones you find yourself cheering on. And there's always just a hint of magic that enhances the plot.

Plus it was super fun and features some cool Matilda pranks. 😄

The illustrations throughout the book are so simple, but perfect in every way. They really enhance the book and remind me of the Dahl books I read when I was kid.

I LOVE THIS BOOK!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matilda.

May 2, 2019 – Shelved
May 2, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 2, 2019 – Shelved as: mg-children-picture-books
June 13, 2019 – Started Reading
June 13, 2019 –
page 43
16.8% "This is SO funny!"
June 14, 2019 –
page 50
19.53% "Matilda is SO cute. Too bad her parents are total a-holes."
June 15, 2019 –
page 84
32.81% "I'm loving this. It's so much FUN!"
June 16, 2019 –
page 200
78.13% "Loving this book. So much!"
June 16, 2019 – Finished Reading