Susan K's Reviews > Suffering the Scot

Suffering the Scot by Nichole Van

bookshelves: 2019, arc, christian, crime, death, family, fiction, forgiveness, friendship, grief, intrigue, marriage, romance, secrets, series

Romance, clean; Period; Series, but stand alone read
Andrew and Jane's story intermingled in family drama and machinations, along with crimes and subterfuge, was a lush, gorgeous read. Andrew was a great H, his intelligence, wit, and subtleties as a character were a pleasure to read. Jane's dilemma, with all the nuances of her life as others tried to control her, her finances, her family, was heartbreaking and so sad as she tried to have peace, hope, happiness and bit of fun and normalcy in an otherwise controlled and manipulated existence. She sought the comforts of the one person who loved her, and knew her for who she was.
This was really lovely read. So many times it is easy to guess the outcomes in a light novel. This wasn't the case. I was pleasantly surprised at some of the twists and turns this novel had. I have always enjoyed this author, but this cemented my firm following of her work. I can't wait to read the rest of the novels in this series. It deserves to be widely read. While I would still categorize this as light romance, the characters are well-drawn, the secondary characters supporting the story-line well, and the setting was rich. The end notes were a nice touch to the novel. Wanting to take a dive into Scottish history after this!
I received an ARC but this in no way influenced my opinions. I will say I am a fan of this author and their writing to be fair.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suffering the Scot.

May 2, 2019 – Shelved