megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Shuddering

The Shuddering by Ania Ahlborn

bookshelves: 2021-mt-tbr-challenge

What's not to enjoy about a classically-constructed gore fest with horrifying monsters!?

The Shuddering follows a group of friends on a snowboarding holiday in the remote and unforgiving Colorado mountains.

The Adler twins, Ryan and Jane, spent a lot of their childhood at their parent's posh ski cabin. Now that their parents are no longer together, their father has decided to sell the memorable property.

Ryan, who has just accepted a job overseas, decides to plan one final weekend at the home with his twin and his best friend, Sawyer.

Jane, recently divorced, decides to bring along her best friend, Lauren and Sawyer brings his gloomy girlfriend, April. Jane, who dated Sawyer in high school and really never got over him, isn't exactly excited about April's presence.

As the weekend gets underway, it's clear tension is going to be the name of the game. Unfortunately, for the Adler party, that's soon to be the least of their worries.

There's something lurking in the woods, observing them, coming closer and closer to the cabin and it's hungry.

Oona, Ryan's beloved husky, is the first to notice something is amiss.

Her strange behavior leads Ryan to believe that a wolf pack may be hunting in the area.

When a blizzard hits, they become snowed in and the agitation reaches a new peak. The group ends up separating as April and Sawyer try to depart the property.

It doesn't end well.

From that moment on, the intensity and action never stop. As you learn the truth of what pursues the group of weekend travelers, the desperation of their circumstances becomes more and more clear.

I love how Ahlborn built this out. It's a classic set-up for a horror story and that was exactly the vibe that I was looking for when I picked it up.

I was stressed about the dog, of course. If you have ever read any of my reviews, you probably could have guessed that was coming, so that did have a slight effect on my enjoyment level.

Also, some the decisions made by the characters were questionable, but at the same time, I think that is half the fun. I mean, is a Horror movie even enjoyable if you aren't yelling at the screen half the time?

The gore and violence were very well done. It was disgusting, it was bloody, it was stomach-churning and it was unrelenting.

I would definitely recommend this to any fan of the horror genre; particularly, if you, like me, enjoy horror stories set in Winter. This is the perfect book for that vibe!

I was a fan of Ahlborn's work prior to this, but this definitely seals the deal. I will read anything she writes!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shuddering.

May 2, 2019 – Shelved
May 2, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
December 1, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 5, 2021 – Started Reading
January 6, 2021 –
36.0% "Yet again we have a dog I need to be petrified for the entire story.
I thought we just collectively agreed, no more dogs in stories!?"
January 6, 2021 –
80.0% "Ania can sure write some monsters!!! 😳"
January 7, 2021 – Shelved as: 2021-mt-tbr-challenge
January 7, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Yes, another Ania Ahlborn! I haven't read this one yet, I hope it's as great as Brother and Within These Walls.

megs_bookrack Catherine wrote: "Yes, another Ania Ahlborn! I haven't read this one yet, I hope it's as great as Brother and Within These Walls."
Me too! The premise sounds like something I will really enjoy so I am feeling hopeful!

message 3: by Emerson (new)

Emerson The premise of this one sounds very much like Dreamcatcher by Stephen King. I've never read the book, but did see the movie some years ago.

megs_bookrack Emerson wrote: "The premise of this one sounds very much like Dreamcatcher by Stephen King. I've never read the book, but did see the movie some years ago."
There are some similar qualities; this one is much more Teen Scream than Dreamcatcher, but the creepy AF woods vibe is definitely present in both!