Edward Gerk's Reviews > Seculosity: How Career, Parenting, Technology, Food, Politics, and Romance Became Our New Religion and What to Do about It

Seculosity by David Zahl

Well written with lots of food for thought. Believe it or not, a good companion book would be "A Sacred Space Is Never Empty: A History of Soviet Atheism". Why? Because of the vacuum that has been created, society looks to fill the religious void with, wait for it, religion. In the USSR the regime tried to abolish religion and filled it with state-religion...including Lenin and Stalin worship. In North America, we have done it to ourselves, throwing off the "burden" of religion...replacing it with a mob-rule that is more fundamentalist than anything your local conservative church could ever even imagine.

Lots to be challenged on. Lots to mull over on how it applies to my own faith, and how I tend to make good things into "idols".

We are a religious people. We crave meaning. We just think we find it in places not intended to give us that meaning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seculosity.

May 2, 2019 – Started Reading