Robyn's Reviews > Not My Daughter

Not My Daughter by Kate Hewitt

6209444

Kate Hewitt has been one of my favorite authors ever since I read A Mother’s Goodbye which was one of my top read books of 2018. Hewitt continued to blow me away with one of her next release, The Secrets We Keep and again another one of my top reads of the year. Never could I have imagined that Hewitt would ever top A Mother’s Goodbye, but I was so wrong. Not My Daughter is THE book of the year! Hewitt just continues to surprise me and surpass all of my expectations with each new release and is one of those writers that pens an emotional and heartbreaking story that evokes every emotion out of you so expertly. Hewitt just knows all the right buttons to press to make me cry over and over again. Not My Daughter is one of those books that will stay with you for a long time to come.

Milly and Anne have been best friends since childhood. Not only were they best friends, they were more like sisters. So when Milly and her husband Matt receive the devastating news that Milly had a less than 1% chance of ever being able to conceive a child of her own, Anne steps up and offers to become an egg donor. This is what a best friend does afterall. Anne knows how much Milly wants a baby of her own and is determined to make her best friend’s dream come true. Only no one ever expected the heartache that would ensue.

Not My Daughter touches on a lot of subjects such as infertility, adoption, friendships, sickness, and even hope. The story is told in alternating points of view from Milly and Anne’s perspective and here is where the story really shines for me as I was able to relate and feel compassion both both of these women. I think every reader will be able to take something away from this story and apply it to their own life at some point. While, I might not be a mother, I can certainly feel empathy for Milly and Anne as both women have a story that is so heartbreaking and so real. I feel like I got to know both of them intimately which made the story seem all that much more real and honest.

This is not an easy read by any means, it is filled with heartache and grief and so much emotion that I could not stop myself from crying. Not My Daughter is a tear jerker and I don’t think I have ever cried as much as I have with another story like this one especially during the second half of the story. I was completely devastated and to be honest writing this review even has me teary eyed just remembering certain parts of this story.

Kate Hewitt writes multi layered and three dimensional characters that you can’t help but feel empathy and compassion for. Hewitt immerses you into Milly and Anne’s lives so thoroughly making me feel as if I know them both personally and intimately. For me, Hewitt has some of the best written characters in all of her stories and she really shines in character development. While Milly may not have always been my favorite and I may even found her to be selfish at times, I still felt so much sympathy for her as a wife and a mother going through one of the toughest things anyone could ever go through.

Not My Daughter is a heartbreaking and unputdownable story that is both compelling and touching. I read this all in one sitting and the closer I got to the end the more emotional I became because I never wanted the story to finish. To say this story is a five star read is an understatement. There are not enough stars in the world to show how much this book has touched me and for that reason alone Kate Hewitt will always be one of my favorite go-to authors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not My Daughter.

Started Reading