Nai's Reviews > Farsighted

Recommended to Nai by: Melissa Storm
Read from February 19 to March 20, 2012

description

description
"LaForge, He sees things you don't too."

Farsighted, the first book in a series written by Emlyn Chand. This was a great intro to the series. Alex embarks on a journey of magic, growing up and teenage love all in 206 short pages. I could have kept reading 200 or even 400 more pages, which is why I'm super excited there will be another book to read soon.

This book has so many levels to grasp onto. Whether you're into sci-fi and fantasy, or you just want a good story about growing up, making hard choices and doing the 'right' thing. This book will grab you and take you for a wonderful imaginary ride. That ride, will also make poignant jabs at your own past, or someone you likely know.

While Alex may be blind, he can still see things other people can't and that creates the beginning of a thread that twines through every chapter of the book. It's a wonderfully bound together book, with some spectacular writing that really lets the reader get to know the characters through Alex's 'eyes'.

This would be an awesome intro into fantasy and sci-fi writing for any YA reader. It's not an entirely new world to get used to, like say Star Trek, but a world that seems completely plausible with a few twists to it.

I'd even go so far as to say any age could get a lot out of this book. I say that because the characters are so well written and life like that it's hard NOT to identify with them. I also have to say the first thing I noticed was the runes at the beginning of each chapter.

This:
Just when I think my life can't get any weirder, it does. I can't decide whether being a psychic magnet is more awesome or terrifying. It's one thing to read about this stuff in books or listen to it in the movies, but to actually become a super hero?

is what kept me reading, and made me identify with Alex. Emlyn Chand's writing is awesome. Just sayin'

So, here's another plug for Emlyn and her awesomeness. She's part of the Book Bundlz book pick. Actually she's leading the pack right now. You do have to register, but voting would mean a lot to her. She's a young author, and she's making it on her own. She really is inspirational, and also the president of Novel Publicly, which I have in the recent past hosted whirlwind blog tours for.

Open Heart is the next in the series, and I will state right away, that I am very excited for it.

I hope if nothing else, my review makes you go read the book itself. It's available at Amazon  and not expensive ($2.99). I know I have at least a few friends with Kindle's who'd enjoy it. It was a great, easy and fun book to read. I hope you enjoy as well.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farsighted.

message 1: by Melissa (new) - added it