Nicole M. Hewitt's Reviews > Soul of the Sword

Soul of the Sword by Julie Kagawa

bookshelves: fiction-addiction-read

This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

I love this series, but I’ll confess that it took me a little while to get into this book. I started reading it, but I kept putting it down. I think it was mostly due to Hakaimono’s POV chapters—they were all death and destruction and demonic plotting, which are generally my least favorite aspects of fantasy (actually, once we got to the actual plotting, I was more engaged—it’s just all the demon beheading that bores me. I’m weird, I know). I eventually decided that this is the type of book that would work better for me via audiobook—and that was a fantastic decision!

The book really started to pick up for me once Yumeko made a decision about how she was going to handle Hakaimono. I obviously can’t share what that decision was, but I felt much more engaged with the story once I knew that goal—and I was definitely looking forward to how it would all play out. And the end of the book definitely did not disappoint. It all went in a direction I was not expecting at all—which I absolutely loved. And the book left me eager to find out what will happen next!

As far as the audiobook goes, all three narrators (Brian Nishii, Joy Osmanksi, and Emily Woo Zeller) were fantastic—I felt that they all captured the action of this series incredibly well, and Brian Nishii did an excellent job differentiating between Tatsumi and Hakaimono/Tatsumi.

***Disclosure: I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review (though I ended up listening to the audiobook from the library). No other compensation was given and all opinions are my own.***
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul of the Sword.

May 1, 2019 – Shelved