YouKneeK's Reviews > The Long Earth

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett

liked it
bookshelves: science-fiction, standalone

The Long Earth is the first book in a five-book science fiction series by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. The main premise is that humans have discovered that it’s possible to “step” to a seemingly-unlimited number of alternate earths, all of which appear to be pristine wildernesses with no humans to be found. Many people take advantage of this discovery for a variety of purposes: to start new pioneer colonies, to exploit resources, to enjoy solitude, and to just explore.

I thought the premise was interesting, and there were interesting ideas throughout, but the execution was often dull. My interest was all over the place while I read it. Sometimes I was caught up in the story, other times I was completely bored, and everything in-between. It wandered off into side stories a lot, but sometimes it was the side stories I enjoyed more than the main narrative. Most if not all of the side stories did tie into the main narrative eventually.

This book didn’t feel like a complete story by itself. Several questions are answered, and others are hinted at, but this is clearly just the beginning of a longer story. I didn’t enjoy the first book enough to continue, though. Alternate universes are a science fiction trope I usually enjoy, but this one didn’t work that well for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Earth.

May 1, 2019 – Started Reading
May 1, 2019 – Shelved
May 1, 2019 – Shelved as: standalone
May 1, 2019 – Shelved as: science-fiction
May 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Hank The next book gets pretty bad reviews so stopping here seems quite reasonable.

YouKneeK That's good to know. I'm not sure if I would have been tempted even if people told me the second book was way better, but it's nice to know I'm probably not missing out on anything great by stopping here.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* I read the whole series, and agree that stopping here is just fine.

YouKneeK That's great to hear. If nothing else, I took some definite pleasure in freeing up an extra four slots on the reading schedule.