Kimberly Laurel (The Trusty Bookmark)'s Reviews > The Power to Get Things Done:

The Power to Get Things Done by Steve Levinson

bookshelves: 2019, audiobook, non-fiction, own, ttb, reviewed

Walk, don't wobble.

While this book’s repetitiveness is something to be aware of, despite its style, I found The Power to Get Things Done incredibly useful and will definitely be rereading it -- 4 stars rounded up to 4.5 for its content value.  I took five pages of notes while listening to the audiobook and then bought a physical copy off BookOutlet.

This was a fascinating lesson on the psychological reasons why we don’t follow through; the importance of assessing your intentions and “trying smarter, not harder”; and a prescriptive set of tools to teach us how to actually do what we intend to do.  Chapters include both self-assessment questions and various real-world examples that practically apply Levinson’s rules for follow-through that I found useful on both a personal and professional level.

My main concern with this book was its repetitiveness.  There were a number of chapters with subsections that provided only the slightest variations of the primary message.  As an audiobook, it was easy to become disengaged, and a few of my notes said things like “still discussing ‘goo’ at page 47 - sigh”.  However, this may not be quite as obvious in a written format as I normally find it useful when an author effectively reinforces their message.

Although this book could be more concise, overall I thought Levinson’s emphasis on the need for a manual means of follow-through as well as providing tools for doing so was extremely helpful.  I know I’ll be rereading this frequently as I’m sure I only absorbed a small portion of its usefulness.  I highly recommend this as a lesson on why we don’t achieve our well-intended goals and how to go about fixing that.

The Trusty Bookmark | Instagram | Pinterest

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power to Get Things Done.

April 20, 2019 – Started Reading