♆ BookAddict ✒ La Crimson Femme's Reviews > Woman in Chains

Woman in Chains by Bridget Midway

liked it
bookshelves: bdsm, purchased, x-lng

People jumping to conclusions, irresponsible Doms, mentally unstable submissives, what other messed up situation can be added to this book? Oh right, a Dom who sees things in black and white who ALSO jumps to conclusions. This book was not an easy read. Several times the urge to shoot the characters in the book became almost overwhelming.

Let's start with the fucked "This Slave". Once again we have a submissive who is from an abusive household in the lifestyle. Lovely. Because all submissives are fucked in the head, just like another mentioned in the book - "lil Mary". That one was a trip too. Over time the readers learns more about Rebekah and understands why she does what she does. Another issue with this sub, Rebekah, is tops from the bottom consistently. Makes her real happy, doesn't it? Ms. Midway does an excellent job of depicting how a D/s relationship unfolds when the submissive tops from the bottom.

Dak is the least screwed up piece of work here. Yes he does become judge, jury and executioner, but how can one blame him? He's a freaking retired SEAL. And going to work for the police force? I don't know many former military who would find police work that great for them. The missions of the two are similar in the "protect". However, the execution is totally different. Doesn't really make them that compatible. Regardless, Dak is a good Dom with the shittiest friends, with the exception of Mistress Siren.

What is going on with Gordon? Can't make a single phone call? Gordon is an asshat with ulterior motives and an arrogant pissant. Sir Steele - what a joke. Moira? Yeah, she fits the shrink title to a T. Judgmental and leaping to conclusions much? Disappointing. She gives good psychiatrists a bad name.

This story was interesting from the perspective of a secret organization designed to save abused submissives. It's good to know these organizations really exist. Although if they are run as half assed as showcased in this story, it's a concern.

The characters actually earned a 1 or 2 star. They were unappealing except for Dak. The storyline didn't do much better - barely a 2 star. What really made this work was the D/s scenarios/teachings/insights and the hawt BDSM scenes. These were enjoyable and very well written. For this, the story settled on a 3 star overall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Woman in Chains.

February 19, 2012 – Shelved
July 1, 2012 – Started Reading
July 29, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Vivian You are more generous than I.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Vivian wrote: "You are more generous than I."

lol

message 3: by 315 (last edited Jul 30, 2012 08:16AM) (new) - added it

315 Ugh, this is not good... I purchased this book a few months ago and just haven't been in the mood for it. Now I'm even less in the mood and it might end up into the "I'd rather read the phone book over this book" pile of books I have.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme 224 wrote: "Ugh, this is not good... I purchased this book a few months ago and just haven't been in the mood for it. Now I'm even less in the mood and it might end up into the "I'd rather read the phone book..."

It was odd. I don't know how to describe it. Some of it was really good and dead on. Some of it was like, WTH just happened? I think it comes down to, my reading preference is that the characters have to be engaging for me. I need that connection. W/o it, it doesn't work for me.

Vivian ♆ BookAddict wrote: "I think it comes down to, my reading preference is that the characters have to be engaging for me. "

message 6: by 315 (last edited Jul 30, 2012 09:19AM) (new) - added it

315 Vivian wrote: "I agree and these two made me want to drown them in a bucket like unwanted..."

ROFL! Well that does it for me, stick a fork in this book. Too many other books to read.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Vivian wrote: "I agree and these two made me want to drown them in a bucket like unwanted puppies.

"

Vivian ♆ BookAddict wrote: "! How can puppies EVER be unwanted? I love puppies. (Well, except for those annoy loud yappy ones). "

Aahhh...I've found bad-ass's soft spot. Substitute kittens if it makes you feel better. *evil grin*

And re: dogs, I need one I can respect, not an accessory.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Vivian wrote: "♆ BookAddict wrote: "! How can puppies EVER be unwanted? I love puppies. (Well, except for those annoy loud yappy ones). "

Aahhh...I've found bad-ass's soft spot. Substitute kittens if it makes yo..."

GAH! I have cats. *eyes narrow* What do you have against cats? Mine actually kneads me when I'm hurting. He gives me a nice massage on my leg or abs.

I don't like accessories either. I wish may cats were bigger, but they just don't grow that big I guess.

Vivian ♆ BookAddict wrote: "GAH! I have cats. *eyes narrow* What do you have against cats?"

message 11: by 315 (last edited Jul 30, 2012 12:43PM) (new) - added it

315 You know the book is bad when the random comments made in the “comments about the book” area out weight the entertainment value found in the book but aren't ABOUT the book. I’m just saying…

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Vivian wrote: "Funny you should ask, my sister adopted one from the trash dumpster. It was a feral Siamese cat and it actually chased me through the house to bite me. AND I'm not the one who use to throw it in the water barrel. It met an unfortunate end at the teeth of neighborhood dogs--I knew it was an end game when I found it, but my sister is weak/emotional about all the wrong things and wanted to take it to the vet. Nothing that will live makes those sounds.

It was a demon cat and though I wouldn't have wished that end on it, the delay was crueler imo. "

@ Vivian - OMG! I've heard of cats like that. Mine are very sweet. They are good natured and follow me around the house when I do chores. They also like to sleep on me. I guess I'm a fluffy (read fat) pillow for them to rest their weary bodies on. I don't understand what they do all day that tires them out, but they seem to be fatigued all the time. O_o

224 wrote: "You know the book is bad when the random comments made in the “comments about the book” area out weight the entertainment value found in the book but aren't ABOUT the book. I’m just saying…"

Hush, you! My comments are directly at Vivian the cat and dog punisher. *giggle*

And this can kind of apply to the book. Dak is basically adopting a feral cat - new submissive. He's the submissive whisper. I was kind of impressed with how he broke through to her. Some of the things he did do were dumb. Like taking her to her father. Um, hello, WTF, even a dumb ignorant person like me could tell she had issues with her father based on her responses.

message 13: by ~ Becs ~ (new)

~ Becs ~ Great review - this book really does come in for a lot of criticism from reviewers. To me, the synopsis sounds promising but the reviews are really putting me off. I'm guessing it falls down in he execution?

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Becs wrote: "Great review - this book really does come in for a lot of criticism from reviewers. To me, the synopsis sounds promising but the reviews are really putting me off. I'm guessing it falls down in he..."

I found the Dom to actually be pretty good. It's the other characters in the story that made me want to slap them upside the head. I'm not sure how to put my finger quite on why this has rubbed so many people the wrong way.