Fedora's Reviews > Holding Out

Holding Out by Serena Bell

U 50x66

Holding Out is the fourth in Serena Bell's Returning Home series, about veterans returning to civilian life after service. It's about Griffin Ambrose and Becca Drake. Becca's sister Alia is married to Nate (the focus of Can't Hold Back, the second in this incredible series), who works with Griff at R&R, a retreat focused on serving veterans and providing care and services to help them heal and reintegrate.

Griff's been deeply wounded by the devastation of his wife leaving him while he was overseas. He's determined to protect his heart by guarding his emotions more securely than Fort Knox. If you want orgasms, he's your man. But he doesn't do relationships, period.

Becca's finally got a handle on her life, and New Becca is going to stand up for herself, whether is at the workplace or with dates. One of the things on her to-do list is finding someone to help her get rid of that now inconvenient virginity.

Becca and Griff have had a chance to get to know each other a bit as friends through get togethers, and during one of their conversations, Becca reveals that she's been looking for someone to help her punch that V-card. Griff declines, but he can't stop thinking about her request.

Becca figures Griff's perfect for the job--they're friends, and he doesn't want more than a one-and-done anyway. But reality sometimes has a way of being different than we originally plan...

Serena Bell's story is sexy and emotional and incredibly satisfying. Not only are the characters real and three-dimensional, they are a part of a warm and supportive community of the same. The Returning Home universe is one where the characters exist not in a vacuum but in a thriving network, where friends and family lend us strength and support and also don't pull their punches when that is needed. Becca and Griff navigate the sometimes choppy waters from a single night to understanding what they truly want, and being brave enough to work for that. And never alone.

Holding Out is a deeply satisfying read. I look forward to more of Ms Bell's writing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holding Out.

April 10, 2019 – Started Reading
May 1, 2019 – Shelved
May 1, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Maria Rose (new) - added it

Maria Rose I'm excited to read this!

Fedora I hope you love it as much as I did, Maria Rose! The whole series has been fantastic, and this was no exception!