Donna LaValley's Reviews > The Rembrandt Affair

The Rembrandt Affair by Daniel Silva

Feb 19, 2012

Read in February, 2012

The blurb made this book seem so exciting, I was eager to read it. I love books about great art and mysteries concerning them. I’d recently read Pictures At An Exhibition which covered fine art in Paris stolen by Nazis, and enjoyed it. The plot here begins with a Nazi-stolen painting, but is ultimately about Iran’s secret nuclear program. Turns out, the book is one of a series about heroic Israeli operatives and Western espionage. The reader is taken to Argentina, Switzerland, Israel, the USA, Amsterdam, and England. The CIA, MI5 and MI6 try to keep up with the Israelis, who are sexy, heroic, super-smart, and never fail. Swiss bankers have been very bad, in cahoots with Nazi looters. The flaw for me was the “strong” woman, recruited for Operation Masterpiece, who suddenly loses her ability to think and calculate, thus instantly becoming a “woman in jeopardy.” However, the story had excitement and great details. Does it stand alone without the series, including development of the main Israeli characters? Almost!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rembrandt Affair.