Becky's Reviews > How We Disappeared

How We Disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee

bookshelves: giveaways

The real deal.

This book was unsurprisingly difficult to read, but worth it. My heart broke so much for Wang Di, and the real women on whom her character is based. The trauma she endures appears to me to be depicted faithfully in the novel, neither sanitized nor sensationalized, and the lasting impact of this time in her life courses through every page. Her relationship with her late husband, affectionately called The Old One, was a precious thing, and I loved and ached as she reminisced over their bond. Kevin is an equally compelling character; a victim of bullying, he has taken to recording his experiences to remember his life if he goes blind. His love for his family and curiosity propel him to investigate the secrets of his grandmother’s confession, and set the course of this novel in motion.

The interlocked stories of Kevin and Wang Di past and present captivated me, while giving me a deeper understanding of a previously overlooked piece of history. I highly recommend you pick up this novel, and be ready to be moved.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How We Disappeared.

May 1, 2019 – Started Reading