VertexArray's Reviews > Point of Dreams

Point of Dreams by Melissa Scott

** spoiler alert ** Having read two books in the Astreiant series, I want to describe them as balanced. Procedural cop drama with an exemplary treatment of magic (consistent logic balanced against breathless wonder). Characters that obey the same rhythm of everyday life that you and I are bound to, even as corpses pile up. Seasons change, stars align, the logic of mercantilism and social class rule all.

This constraints of internal logic and societal organization ground the book in a way necessary to run a procedural mystery. Familiar story beats appear: the body, the autopsy, the report, digging through records, the supervisor with her hands tied, all the good stuff.

Since I'm here and I'm me, I might as well talk about Ghost in the Shell SAC. The atmosphere is completely different, but the feeling of otherworldly cop drama ia comparable. The characters solve mysteries that rely on the logic of their world, so as they find the body and the killer, you learn about what's possible in it.

My only real complaint is that the motives of the killer in the end don't fully make sense. The characters themselves admit it. Not that it really takes away from the book; Astreiant is journey, not destination.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Point of Dreams.

Finished Reading